"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Comments on Split off Linguistics into a site category?

Parent

Split off Linguistics into a site category?

+2
−6

So to be honest, I have basically zero interest in any of the etymology, language usage, or language learning questions here. I'm here for the linguistics questions. And there's really not a lot of overlap between them.

What if we made off linguistics as its own top level category (so next to Resources)? This keeps the two areas of this site community much closer together than they ever would have been at Stack Exchange, but does give space for theoretical and descriptive linguistics too.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (23 comments)
−1

This is one of four (or more) alternative answers.

(I am posting the alternatives separately and simultaneously to allow separate voting and commenting. They represent elaborations of potential courses of action touched upon by comments on the question post. Comments on the answer post can now be used to refine the respective options further; new parallel answers are welcome, too.)

Option 3 - Topic tag based

We will add a new tag "general-linguistics" and add it to existing questions where it fits. Questions asked about languages of certain properties regardless of their genetic affiliation should be tagged with this tag. The word "general" refers to generalization beyond a specific single language.

Less experienced posters may miss out on adding this tag, if they ask a broadly applicable question; this can be corrected by any user or moderator when noticed.

New language tags can be added by any poster on the fly[1]. The system will not automatically recognize that they are language tags, so they may be visually styled inconsistently with other language tags until reclassified by an advanced user to the proper style.

1. At least for now. This will most likely change once abilities are implemented. ↩︎

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (4 comments)
General comments
curiousdannii‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

Does Codidact have tag filters, favourite tags, anything like that yet?

Jirka Hanika‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@curiousdannii - Favorite tags would be a really cool addition. Hierarchical tags already work: https://meta.codidact.com/questions/276452

Lundin‭ wrote over 3 years ago

Maintaining this through tags and ensuring that people add the right tag would be a nightmare. This will create tons of re-tagging busy-work.

Jirka Hanika‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

@Lundin - If we go with the category alternative, I imagine we'll need to introduce a transient tag first anyway, just to mark which existing posts are to be migrated to the new category. And if we don't: retagging new posts is easier than recategorizing them, right? (I'm just failing to see how a plain tag makes things harder.)