"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Comments on Translation Golf (draft stage)

Translation Golf (draft stage)

+5
−1

In Spanish.SE we used to have quite a lot of fun with the Translation Golf: we would pick some English text and the goal was to translate it into Spanish using the less amount of characters as possible, but keeping the meaning of the original text.

Here in Linguistics we cannot assume the knowledge of any language other than English, since each one of us may know a different set of them.

For this, I was thinking in two levels:

• What about having a game consisting in challenging the 'compression' of a given text in English? This would mean finding shorter ways to express something, shorter synonyms, and so on.
  • If the above had enough support, what about having a category for challenges like this?

In the same vein as site proposals, please comment your interest below.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (10 comments)
General comments
Moshi‭ wrote over 3 years ago

An interesting concept. Could you link some of those posts so we can get a better picture of what it's about?

Looks fun - if the other mod (Hanika) is good with it too, and we get some more interest, feel free to post a first challenge in Q&A (we can always create the category later if it gets popular)

fedorqui‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@Moshi OK then I'll wait for the feedback of Hanika and others

@fedorqui I can't get in contact with Hanika, so I'm going to just give the go-ahead myself. Feel free to do it when you want to

Jirka Hanika‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@Moshi, @fedorqui - Sure, I never have a problem with any proposals that don't impose any new major constraints on non-participants. I'm most happy when things are moving forward on their own and I try to intervene only if they are not. If this particular initiative gets popular enough, it can be great fun I suppose.

Lundin‭ wrote over 3 years ago

It would need to be a separate category, not to disrupt the main Q&A. Maybe a general "challenges" or "fun" category.

Jirka Hanika‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@Lundin - Yes, absolutely agree.

@JirkaHanika I didn't get your mention (probably since there was a comma at the end of it). Personally, I think putting it in the main Q&A is fine for now (and we get more visibility). If it's popular, we can always move it.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote about 3 years ago · edited about 3 years ago

@Moshi we can create the category on request -- need a name and a short description (the text that appears at the top of the posts list). Some other communities have "challenges" categories, so consider that but don't feel bound by it if the approach here is different.