"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Does English support three-word contractions?

Does English support three-word contractions?

+13
−1

In English certain pairs words can be contracted with an apostrophe, such as "I've" (I have). I don't know if there are strong rules for which words can be combined in this way and which can't. In all the examples I can think of, each contributing word is only one syllable.

Does any version of English formally recognize combining three words like this as being normative, as opposed to considering it incorrect or slang (as one might find on Twitter or Usenet)? I imagine it'd depend on which words, just as combining two words seems to. I just found myself writing "I'd've" (I would have), and I wouldn't've thought much of it, but a non-native speaker asked me about this construction and I don't know whether it's personal quirk, a marker of a certain type of population, or normative.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (12 comments)
General comments
Moshi‭ wrote over 3 years ago

Wiktionary has a page for "double contractions" (contracting twice) https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:English_double_contractions so obviously, it is considered normal (or at least common). It's even more informal than single contractions though, which makes them quite rare outside of speech.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@Moshi thanks; I had not heard of "double contractions" and that didn't come up in my search.

ArtOfCode‭ wrote over 3 years ago

I'd've thought it does :) I find myself using them every now and then - "I'd've", "shouldn't've" come to mind.

Isaac Moses‭ wrote over 3 years ago

I suspect that the answer to this question will change within a generation. I use double contractions in informal writing, too, from time to time. Character-limited and time-sensitive (or perceived time-sensitive) e-messaging will likely make these an increasingly attractive option.

manassehkatz‭ wrote over 3 years ago

Similar, though not identical, are acronyms used as part of conversation - like: "IANAL, but...." Typically only in written text, but more and more turned into speech too.

DonielF‭ wrote over 3 years ago

I wouldn’t’ve thought there’d be a problem. ‘Twasn’t right?

@DonielF I write like this casually, but sometimes comment on it being quirky and I don't know that I've seen it outside of casual writing (like chat and email), and that got me wondering if it's a niche quirk or more widespread/accepted.

Skipping 2 deleted comments.

@Monica Saw this pop up to the top again. What do you consider "formally recognizing" as normative? For example, "I'd've" is actually an entry in the Collins Dictionary: https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/idve

@Moshi thanks; a dictionary entry is helpful. I see that says it's British informal English. Are there others too or just "I'd've"? I'm curious about the pattern (if there is one).

@Monica Cambridge Dictionary lists the 'd've contraction as it's own entry: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/d-ve?q=%27d%27ve As far as I can tell, those are the only double contraction entries in those respective online dictionaries (at least, I'm not going through the entire wikipedia list to find out lol).

It is also interesting to note that Cambridge Dictionary contradicts itself: from here: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/contractions "We don’t use more than one contraction"

Whether it is meant to imply "in formal English", "in standard English", or "at all" is a bit ambiguous though.