Historical Greek Educational Resources
Please post resources below for learning or studying Historical Greek. At the moment this will be a catch-all post; eventually some categories may spin off into their own resource lists.
Reading & Texts
- Lingua Graeca Per Se Illustrata - an open-source reader modeled on the Latin LLPSI. Aims to cumulatively and immersively expose new readers to grammar and vocabulary. A Spartan Tale is its Doric counterpart (based on the Athenaze textbook for Attic).
- Ancient Greek for Everyone: Essential Morphology and Syntax for Beginning Greek - a free, modern online textbook for learning Ancient Greek
- Geoffrey Steadman - Classical Greek Texts with facing vocabulary and commentary
- Dickinson College Commentaries - online commentaries on Greek texts
- Faenum Publishing - Greek texts (mostly Roman-era) with vocabulary and commentary
- Λευκανθία καὶ Μήροδαξ - A fantasy story written in ancient Greek.
- Βικιθήκη - Greek texts from Homeric to modern
- Open Greek and Latin - Open source texts supported by various universities
- TLG - Indexed historical texts (requires registration)
- Classical Greek: A New Grammar - Includes the eponymous grammar along with books of exercises and vocabulary building, and modern texts translated to Classical Greek
- Deutsche Bibel Gesellschaft (German Bible Society) Academic Bibles - Includes the Novum Testamentum Graece (ed. Nestle-Aland) 28th edition Greek New Testament, the UBS 5th edition Greek New Testament, and the Greek Septuagint/LXX (ed. Rahlfs/Hanhart)
Courses and other explicitly pedagogical links
- Learn Ancient Greek [YouTube video lectures] with Professor Leonard Muellner and and Belisi Gillespi
- Complete Course in Ancient Greek (based on Pharr's Homeric Greek: a Book for Beginners) [YouTube video lectures] by Dr. Walter M. Roberts III. Very technical, works through Pharr's Homeric Greek textbook with the goal of mastery of the finer points of grammar
Dictionaries and other reference materials
- Perseus Digital Library - Indexes usage of words in various dictionaries.
- Logeion - references dictionaries and examples of a word in various texts, as well as showing the conjugations (click on the Μορφώ button on the upper right).