"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Comments on How should we customize the Resources category?

How should we customize the Resources category?

+3
−0

I have created the Resources category, as requested. There are a couple customizations available that I have left blank for now:

• The short description at the top of the list.
  • (Override of) help that is shown when someone starts to create a post. This should give guidance on how to write a resource article, specifically.

What should these be filled with?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (7 comments)
General comments
Sigma‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

Is the intention to give each language a single top level post ("Mandarin") with multiple categories, or is it encouraged to have separage posts for e.g. "Mandarin learning phone apps list and ratings," "Best textbooks for Chinese language learners," and "Chinese dictionaries?" Sorry, I read the other post but wasn't sure what consensus was.

Moshi‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

@Sigma I don't think there really is a consensus. On the one extreme, we could have one resource post for every language, and have headings for each topic. On the other extreme, it could be like a "community blog" where people can post any helpful articles they want and it would be organized by tags instead.

I imagine that it will end up somewhere between the two.

user53100‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@Sigma Monica Cellio's answer there suggests "Create one article per language for useful resources for that language," which I agree with.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@user53100 I was focused there on resource lists, but I don't see why the category couldn't have multiple posts per language if they're for different purposes. A list of resources for learning a language is different from a description of a grammatical element (like the system of binyanim in Hebrew) or a catalog of changes among versions of a language (AmE vs BritE vs IndianE, or Old French -> Middle French -> Modern French). Tags provide inherent grouping.

user53100‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@MonicaCellio I imagined that all such resources for the same language would be a part of the same post, but perhaps what you suggest is better. Let's see how it goes

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@user53100 let's see what emerges, and remember that we can create links where needed.

Sigma‭ wrote over 3 years ago

We could also have a top level language post with links to other pages with more specialized resources.