"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on What does Etymonline mean by 'to raise (someone) out of trouble'?

What does Etymonline mean by 'to raise (someone) out of trouble'?

+1
−3

I have never heard of "to raise (someone) out of trouble"! What does this mean?

relieve (v.) [on Etymonline]

late 14c., releven, "alleviate (pain, etc.) wholly or partly, mitigate; afford comfort; allow respite; diminish the pressure of," also "give alms to, provide for;" also figuratively, "take heart, cheer up;"
from Old French relever "to raise, relieve" (11c.)
and directly from Latin relevare "to raise, alleviate, lift up, free from a burden,"
from re-, here perhaps an intensive prefix (see re-),
+ levare "to lift up, lighten," from levis "not heavy" (from PIE root *legwh- "not heavy, having little weight").

The notion is "to raise (someone) out of trouble." [my emboldening] From c. 1400 as "advance to the rescue in battle, bring help to a besieged place;" also "return from battle; recall (troops)." Meaning "release from duty" is from early 15c. Related: relieved; relieving.

I can surmise merely one meaning — medical professionals lifting or raising a patient. But I have no clue if medical professionals — if they existed in the 14th century — raised patients like in the pictures below!

Top picture. Middle. Bottom

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

3 comment threads

I think you are interpreting "raise" much too literally. It doesn't have to mean physically lifting u... (1 comment)
x-post https://www.reddit.com/r/grammar/comments/wtkk7m/what_does_to_raise_someone_out_of_trouble_mea... (1 comment)
x-post https://www.reddit.com/r/englishmajors/comments/wtjq3f/what_does_to_raise_someone_out_of_troub... (1 comment)
I think you are interpreting "raise" much too literally. It doesn't have to mean physically lifting u...
TextKit‭ wrote over 1 year ago

I think you are interpreting "raise" much too literally. It doesn't have to mean physically lifting up, it can be metaphorical. A metaphorical use is like when we raise money (money does not literally go up in the air!) or when we raise someone's mood (a mood is not a physical thing, how would you even move it upwards physically?) or when we raise goats (it means to farm them, not to pick them up!)